From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:50:09 -0500
We are going to have a panel discussion on selling honey at our Annual Meeting in Maine.
I am preparing a set of questions to ask the panel, which has both hobby and commercial
beekeepers.

Some of the obvious are:
1. What are the laws that you encounter in selling honey? (Leads to EPA, FDA, and State
requirements)
2. What is your cost per hive and amount of honey per hive to break even?
3. Who do you sell to? At what price?
4. How do you establish a market for your honey?
5. How do you work in that market? i.e. farmer's, reseller, etc.
6. What are your ways to insure quality?
7. What value added items do you sell? i.e. wax, pollen, propolis and at what price?

The audience is mostly hobby beekeepers with some having aspirations to go commercial.

I intend to give the participants a copy of the questions so they can do their homework.

Any other questions/ideas from you would be appreciated. It is only an hour, so I would
like to hit the important items.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME