From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:56:28 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Bob & Liz
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>believe the reeds work better but are not as cute in a yard/ garden setting.
I have had blackberry canes recommended. Cut them to length and tie a
bundle together and put them in a secluded place.
>These solitary bees are for the many calls I get each year from people
>wanting one hive of bees brought to their 10 by 20 garden for polination and
>then REMOVED as soon as the garden is polinated.
So do you just leave them in the garden?
I have had a call from someone with only 1000 strawberry plants in a
greenhouse. He has used bumble bees and is thinking of learning about
honey bees. Would you commend solitary bees or do we have a problem of
timing of flowering and the species we might attract? Would you *ever*
use a nuc with an inside and an outside entrance placed at the westerly
end (north side)? In the flowering and fruiting season the glass would
be open most of the day.
Many thanks for your informative posts.
--
James Kilty