From:
Ken Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 07:14:48 -0600
From what I have read:
If you are using a wood block for Orchard Mason Bees, the holes should be
5/16" in diameter, 3/4" on center from each other, and 6" deep. The depth is
important since only at this depth will you be providing enough room for a
proper male/female ratio. A fertile female (there are no "queens" with these
solitary bees) will lay females first in the depth of the hole followed by
males. If the hole is less than 6" in depth she lays a higher proportion of
males than females or no females at all. Therefore, upon emergence the
following February/March, there may not be enough of both sexes to mate and
repeat the cycle. I have also read that you can clean out the previous years
holes with your drill bit but replacing an old block with a new one yearly
is prefered. Molds, mites and other undesirables can take a footing in old
habitat.