From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:21:01 -0600
Hello All,
 Allen Dick wrote from San Diego as follows:
 John Harbo's talk about Suppressing Mite Reproduction (SMR) bees. He has
found bees on which varroa females simply do not reproduce successfully,
Tom wrote:
 I was wondering if I could obtain further information on this.

I also seek information Tom.  I believe research is finnally moving in the
right direction and we are looking closer at varroa reproduction than we
ever have before.  John Harbo will be the first to admit we really don't
know WHY varroa females do not reproduce successfully on certain bees as
they do on others.   This phenomenon has been observed by many researchers
and I am sure bees are in a few  hives on which varroa does not reproduce as
well as others.
With all due respect to John Harbo I am VERY skeptical he has found A.
melifera on which *varroa females will not reproduce*.  Varroa LOVE drone
brood of A.melifera!   I believe Allen is reading more into the talk than
was given..   If John Harbo had A.melifera on which varroa couldn't
reproduce we would all be dancing in the streets and opening bottles of
champagne.   Maybe a *Nobel* award would be in order.
Sorry to take the *wind out of Allen's sails* .    I remain very very
skeptical.
In a round about way John Harbo is saying the same thing many researchers
have said that certain bees tolerate varroa better than others.   Nothing
new yet.
However(in my opinion)  the key to stopping varroa may indeed be found by
John Harbo as he is looking in the right place.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison