From:
Robert Post <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:43:46 +0200
"David L. Green" wrote:

> In a message dated 1/27/01 5:06:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
> writes:
>
> << Just out of curiousity, I was wondering how many hives one would need to
> make
>  a living full time (and what you consider an adequate living amount) as a
>  beekeeper? I recognize that this may be a difficult question. There are
>  several hive products that can be sold.  Im just curious more than anything.
> >>

> I don't know exactly where to look, but the pencil pushers at the
> extension offices love to do model budgets, and somewhere there must be
> floating around some of these for honey production, at least. I don't know
> how realistic these are, because there are so many variables and I've never
> followed conventional paths anyway. I prefer to go broke my own way.

Sorry for the late reply:

An Economic Evaluation of Alternative Management Practices and Enterprise
Structures in the Australian Beekeeping Industry by Roderic A Gill of 1989 (Dept
of Ag. Econ & Bus Mngmt, Univ of New England, Arimdale, N.S.W.) has many tables
and graphs whereby you could interpolate your exact position. It will provide
margin percentages for your placing, etc. It provides lists of assets required,
marketing levels and overheads and expenses. Type some of these into
spreadsheets, up them to current values and make your decision.

Greetings

Robert Post

PS. Honey NEVER makes a profit as per this book! But then what were they selling
it at?