From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:12:04 +0200

I am working in a master detail relationship. and I am keying some fields
for the purpose of fast look up, sorting and so on. The main key I use Is
not a hive body number but a hive number. It might not be of interest for
the most, but a database works best so. So take it as just a number. In my
software it must be unique for each hive but don't need to be continues
within a yard. I am also keying the queen, and for that purpose I create a
'Social security number'. It is not just a number, and if you choose the
option you can read a lot out of it. The queen breeder the race the year
taken into use and a specific ID ending up with the hive number taken into
use. This way I think it is hard to find any other queen with this data.

> The main unit in my outfit is the bee yard.

I arrange the master detail so that the normal view is the beeyard or
location if you want. the screen show all hives on a location with the
screen parted in a master and detail part, sorted by  hive or group for the
master and date for the detail. The detail is your hivenotes and the master
is the last note you have entered. In a synchronized database you can enter
Disease/treatments to each hive or to selected hives ( I have made it
possible to multiselect).There is no limits on disease records to a hive.

> The DBs I have examined seem to be able to use multiple files and multiple
> indices.

You have a free search for all data in Bidata, but the reporting is lacking
, mainly because of no interest for this shown to me and for the reason that
the reporting tool cost me money, so I have some few fixed reports. But here
is a user definable reporting tool for the database I am using.

> I am assuming that I could set a good DB up to sort, search,
> filter, total and
> report by any field and not be limited to one field as key.

This you can do in my software, search on values in field you want shown,
sort it on any field you want. I have supplied the SQL (search query
language) help file so that you can build your own search routine. But It
takes a little time to get used to it.

But as you have said, there is a learning curve to everything, and a
database is no exception.

Best regards
Jorn Johanesson

Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

hive note- queen breeding and handheld computer beekeeping software
10-04-2001 added grouping  and colouring of hives + a lot more.
all you need and a little more. being a little beekeeper or a big queen
breeder
free of charge up to 10 hives.
Language added : Dutch, Pourtuguise, French

home page = HTTP://apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>