From:
Dan McFeeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:24:52 -0600
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:29:54 -0500 Bill Truesdell wrote:

>> > But I was wondering about long term storage of raw honey
>> > for wound treatment and if granulation decreases its efficacy?

Granulation proceeds rapidly at about 57 degrees F but is retarded below
50 degrees F and nearly ceases below 40 degrees F.  Best way to slow
granulation is to keep your honey in the freezer!

>All I have read is that glucose oxidase is the main difference between
>honey and other treatments at the wound/honey interface. When it comes in
>contact with moisture it breaks down to gluconic acid and hydrogen
>peroxide. It is easily destroyed by heating, hence the need for "raw"
>honey.

Sort of, but not exactly.  The process is much more complex!  Loosely
described, glucose oxidase facilitates the production of gluconolactone
and hydrogen peroxide, the lactone then hydrolizes and changes to
gluconic acid.  The rate at which the lactone hydrolizes to gluconic
acid is pH dependent.  At pH 8.0 the process is rapid, at about pH
3.0 the process slows down and stops.  But yes, heating destroys the
enzymes in honey and as a result, stops the active process of
acid and hydrogen peroxide production.  Also, hydrogen peroxide is
sensitive to light, so you'll need to keep your medicinal honey
in the dark.

It's also been found that hydrogen peroxide alone does not fully account
for the antibacterial properties of manuka honey.  Some phenolic compounds
have been identified as having antibacterial action ("Antibacterial
phenolic compounds in New Zealand manuka honey" Food Chemistry, vol.
64, no. 3, 1999), but the remaining compounds have yet to be identified.

Dan McFeeley