From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:47:01 -0500
Peter Borst said:  "Then we would smoke the live hives at the
entrance, driving most of the bees into the second story. This would be
placed on top of an empty single story hive and an empty second story would
be placed on the live hive."

Peter, I have heard of this before, but am a little unclear.  The purpose of
smoking the hives was to drive the queen into the second story...right?
Then, I gather, she and "some" of the brood (I presume that the beekeeper
assumption was that most of the brood was in the lower body) was moved.  The
field bees come back to the original location.  Most of the brood is there
and that is used to raise a new queen.  The old queen is at the new
location...no field bees, but lots of room for her to lay.  Lots of honey
and some brood to establish a new hive.

Do I have this about right?

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.