From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:53:06 -0400
Clayton asked several questions concerning the "killion method" of comb
honey production:

1.  "The difference between the Killion super and Ross =
Round super other than the shape of comb?"

Killion started producing comb honey well before the commercial availability
of what are today known as Ross Rounds.  By the time he stopped beekeeping,
most of his production was Ross Rounds, using the same supers.  His son
still produces some comb honey...100% of which is Ross Rounds.  For as long
as I can remember, he has annually won blue ribbons for these at the January
ABF honey show.

2. "Are killion supers still used on a large scale by commercial beekeepers?
Where can they be obtained (commercially manufactured or homemade).

I have never seen a commercial beekeeper use anything except a basic Killion
super, whether for Ross Rounds or wood sections.  What Killion taught us is
that we need to create an inner "box" to hold the section equipment (frames,
in the case of Ross Rounds), so the bees would finish more of the end
sections as well as those next to the side walls.

I believe only Kelley (800-233-2899) still sells a completely assembled
super for wood sections, although many dealers sell separately the super and
all of its components.  The completely assembled super for wooden sections
is very expensive.  Virtually every dealer sells a completely assembled
super for Ross Rounds, at modest prices.

Because they are far easier to manage, Ross Round equipment outsells that
for wood sections by about 10 to 1.

3. "What are the management practices for comb honey production using the
killion method.  Are there other management practices that are simpler,
yield good results and have less labor?

As George Imirie suggested, buy the Killion book.  It is available from any
dealer for less than $15.  There are probably no better management practices
for wood sections.  However, management practices for producing outstanding
quality Ross Rounds are much simpler and involve much less labor.  Look at
Taylor's "The Comb Honey Book", or my articles in Bee Culture.  The latter
are currently available on the Root web site, http://www.airoot.com.  (Once
there, go to Bee Culture.  From Bee Culture, click on Archives.  Then look
at May and July, 1999.)

4. "How do new world carniolans work for comb honey production as far as
swarming is concerned."

This is one of the rare times I disagree with George Imirie.  I exclusively
use NWC's and think they have a low tendency to swarm and make beautiful
comb for Ross Rounds.

Most of all, enjoy your comb honey production.  Those who regularly produce
comb honey can assure themselves that they are truly beekeepers, and not
beehavers.  In producing comb honey, a beekeeper is working with bees to do
what comes naturally.  And what a great reward!

Lloyd
Mailto: [log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.