From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 12:49:13 -0600
>  With her schedule you would need to have help too.  Get off her back.

I am somewhat anguished that BEE-L has somehow been relaying posts denigrating
Martha Stewart's revealing publicly that she has bees.  We appreciate and
welcome *all* beekeepers (and wannabees) to this list, no matter how skilled or
how green, no matter how committed or how casual.

Inasmuch as the list carries items that are of interest to beekeepers, I think
it was very appropriate that the original post was made pointing out that she
has bees.  Since she is well known and influential, it is nice to know that she
regards bees favourably and enjoys their presence.  Other posts adding details
seemed appropriate as well.  Then, somehow, speculative, mean-spirited posts
started to appear in our inboxes...

One of the objects of moderation of this list is to ensure that people --
members and non-members alike -- are not subject to uninformed insults and
harassment originating from this forum, and that messages passed along are
reasonably polite and enjoyable for all.  (That's not to say we don't have a
little friendly push-and-shove once in a while -- after all we're family).

I doubt that Martha Stewart reads BEE-L, but whether she does or not, I
apologise to her and to other list members on behalf of the vast majority of
those on this list who appreciate that many people have bees for many reasons,
and that it is bad form for us to take shots at other beekeepers for no good
reason.

I think I've said it here before, but I'm going to say it again: Most people
don't like bugs.  Anyone who likes them -- particularly bees -- is a friend and
should be treated as such regardless of our minor differences.  After all, there
aren't that many of us.  We need all the friends we can get.

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/