From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:29:23 -0400
>  Predictions that the beekeeping industry will disappear in parts of the
>U.S., or be significantly damaged, are overblown (though they have probably
>been effective for loosing the purse strings for more research dollars).
The
>rewards of beekeeping, both real and pyschological, will lead new
beekeepers
>to pick up the tradition and learn new management techniques for the
>Africanized bee, thereby replacing those who are unwilling or unable to
>change.

Most people who are going to be willing to "pick up" beekeeping would not be
willing to do so with the AHB. Having a few hives in my back yard to do a
little show-and-tell would not work too well when I had to put on armor to
work the bees. I can also imagine the pollination industry when they had to
explain to the farmers that nobody would be allowed in the fields while the
bees were out there to reduce the chances of stinging.

You can of course just forget the migratory industry. Want to try and get
insurance on a truck load of "killer" bees? How are you going to explain a
stinging incident when a semi-tractor load of "killer" bees overturns?

Sure, in the end there may be a few beekeepers out in rural areas producing
honey, but I doubt there will be enough to maintain the "traditions" much
less the industry.