From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:47:31 +1300
Robert Post wrote:

>While not exactly proof, it is interesting to note that the "old time"
>beekeepers from South Africa had always relied on foundation imported from the
>USA (beautifully packed with thin layers of paper in between each sheet).
>A law
>was passed in the mid 1900's banning the importation of wax, honey and used
>beekeeping equipment into South Africa.

        This may have been nothing more definite or postively-based than an
early application of the precautionary principle.
        It may even have been protection for an infant S. African industry
making bee gear including foundation.
        Or it may conceivably have been a political reprisal of some sort.
        The facts given are some way from evidence regarding whether viable
AFB spores can be spread in foundation.  I remain astonished that this
question of fact is so hard to get answered.

>That has recently been changed to allow
>wax for pharmaceutical purposes only and honey and only if radurised.

        This may very well be a minor triumph for that ultimate 'technology
looking for an application', million-rad doses from cobalt-60.  Other PR
euphemisms for this irradiation include 'radappetisation'.  It is just the
nuclear industry trying to improve its image by making out that an
intractable radioactive byproduct is useful.  Beekeepers should be wary of
being used for this PR purpose.

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
P O Box 28878   Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949