From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:53:54 -0700
Roger Flanders wrote:

> My search of the Bee-L archives revealed only
> scattered references to bees on public lands.  I'm
> wondering if it is legal, and if so, how is
> permission obtained, to "pasture" bees, even
> temporarily, on U.S. Forest Service or BLM public
> lands?

It would be nice if someone could pull the western state requirements
together into a table for easier access - Arizona loosened up after the
beekeepers got the registration system flushed, but BLM, State Trust
Land, Forest Service are all different. I can't think of one apiary on
Indian reservation land, and wilderness areas are off-limits altogether.
I managed to gain access to wildlife refuges only with a research
collecting permit, which was OK, since I was trying to avoid beekeeping
areas.

John F. Edwards
"Feral Bee Tracker and AHB Identifier"
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center