From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:17:26 -0400
Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:

> I am presently experimenting with a two queen hive system....I placed a
> queenright hive on top
> of another queen right hive, separated by newspaper and a queen excluder.
> The problem is, that drones will be trapped in the top hive, and I will have
> to let them out every few days. However the unfortunate insects may still be
> killed in numbers as they get stuck in the queen excluder, and I wish to try
> to avoid this, and also the necessity to let them out.

I have maintained 2-queen systems for years.  The newpaper is not needed, and
after a month of union, I remove the intervening excluder as well (but always
keep the one between brood chambers and supers).  The simplest escape way is to
drill a  1 inch hole in the front of the brood chamber, giving drones as well
as workers another entrance.  In fact, I have such holes in every one of my
hive bodies, and the bees love them.  Such 2-queen hives will often produce 300
lbs of honey and more.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA