From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:20:43 -0400
Just my two cents on reporters and reporting.

I had to work with reporters in several different jobs. The only time I got
into trouble was when I re-directed them to Washington for comments and was
written up in the paper as xxx refused to comment on the story.

So I decided that to talk to them was better than being made to appear that
I was stonewalling.

I have been misquoted, and the first time I was ready to leap on my horse
and kill all the infidel reporters. But nothing came of it. I got no call
on the misquote. And then the truth came to me.
The public reads the misquote and within a few days, forgets. Since I was
being queried by reporters many times, eventually I got the correct version
out.

I also found that some reporters were willing to allow me to check their
story for accuracy, but only after I made myself freely available to them.
One even went to bat for me with his editor to get the truth out.

So my lesson is, be open and available and be prepared to be mis-quoted but
don't worry about it. Only you are getting worked up about it and most
people will not care much anyway. Except your wife or mother who will cut
the article out and paste it in a scrapbook, so many generations hence will
read things you never said.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME