From:
"Susan L. Nielsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:25:00 -0700
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Dave Cushman wrote:

> In most beeking practiced in the western world the bees get little
> choice...They are given foundation with cellbases already impressed on it
> and because the bees are able to adapt to it they will use it because it is
> there.

Maybe I've missed it, because there has been a lot of traffic in this
thread, but it seems to me the logical test situation for this theory
would be feral hives.

The hypothesis here is that smaller cell size inhibits reproduction
in Varroa destructor.

If foundation cell bases determine cell size, and if feral colonies
build hives with no foundation, then cell size in feral hives should
be what we are considering to be a more natural, smaller size.

So, if cell size in feral hives is smaller, and if smaller cell size
inhibits reproduction of V. destructor, then feral hives should not
succumb to varroa pressure.

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      |"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA                   |stream..."