From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:19:28 -0500
Dave Hamilton wrote:
> Most commercial people said it was a pain, not at all needed since they had
> to "keep their bees clean" to make money.  They indicated it was a
> "hobbyist" thing.
>
> Dave
George I wrote
> >  Further, those states that have
> >discontinued or
> >de-emphasized inspection have all seen increased AFB disease.

Many years ago I had the privilege of accompanying our state bee inspector
in his inspection of several migratory operations. He found several hives
infected with AFB, along with many more with EFB and chalk brood. The AFB
hives had to be destroyed. And these were good operations.

The percentage of AFB found in Maine runs between 2 and 5 percent each year
with it usually being closer to the high end. That is with inspection. So I
would say it could follow that without inspection, the rates would go up.
They would not go down.

And I can understand some commercial pollinators reluctance to have their
hives inspected. It does cost in permit fees and they do have to burn if
AFB is found. But a suprising number welcome inspection. It allows movement
between states and shows the grower that they are getting good bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME