Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:44:52 EDT
Research scientists and entomologists have been trying to find a cure or
something to kill the AFB spore for at least 100 years; and our government
laboratories as well as university laboratories are STILL TRYING now in 1999.
 We still have not found a single thing that kills the AFB spore but does not
harm the bee, and hence, we burn the bees, frames and honey.  If the hive
body, bottom board and top are in good condition, the AFB spores that have
invaded the wood can be killed by atomic radiation, boiled in lye, or
fumigated with ethylene oxide gas; and all of these treatments are labor
intensive, costly and dangerous handling.
 You mentioned treating the queen with medicine.  What medicine?
 You mentioned approval by a veterinarian.  In the U. S., veterinarians treat
only
mammals, no insects.
I suggest that you spend your time with proper bee care, because you might be
wasting your energy trying to find a treatment against AFB.  Now, in the U.
S., we have almost eliminated AFB,. now down to about 1-2% of all hives.

AFB is a tough disease that the best scientists in all countries have not
been able
to find a treatment.  It reminds me of all the work and science that has been
put into trying to find a cure for lung cancer in humans, and still we have
not found
anything positive.

I am a retired scientist, and all of these problems just make me feel
inadequate.

Good luck!                                        George Imirie