From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:04:38 EST
In a message dated 2/2/00 11:13:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<Like Peter Borst I am also peanut allergic, and recently became allergic to
bees (after many stings, suddenly one "got" me with a big systemic
reaction).>>

    Is there a life for you in beekeeping after "a big systemic reaction"? Is
your newfound sensitivity something that can be treated or resolved, or in
some way "cured"?
    I've not heard anyone say this, but it has been strongly implied that
getting a big systemic reaction in beekeeping is equivalent to a football
player ripping his knee ligament to pieces — Your career is over.
    I seem to recall reading in Richard Taylor's "Joy of Beekeeping" that the
first time he got stung by a honey bee he described something that resembled
a severe systemic reaction. Obviously, he continued with his beekeeping
career. Are such reactions ever just one-time events or do they always signal
something worse the next time around?