From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:12:53 -0500
The Apidictor is in the process of being modernized by some of us on this
list.  Much of the design work for a new prototype is done and the
instrument will hopefully soon be working.

As an old R+D engineer with a couple decades of experience in signal
conditioning, I have a few cautions about the "electronic hive".  No doubt
this can be done.  That it is being done in a sort of outdoor laboratory
setting is not surprising.  Such work may be crucial to learning which data
are most important to acquire.  However, the practical "electronic hive"
will, for several reasons, need to implement only those capabilities that
prove most necessary and useful .  First, the cost must be low.  Second, too
much data taken without sufficient ability to process and use such data can
be very confusing, time consuming, and may be worse than no electronic data
acquisition at all.  Third, every electronic sensor requires to be connected
by at least two wires.  Unless sensors can be clustered in a single location
in a hive, wiring may proliferate as in automobiles.  Wiring in automobiles
is already a problem where the frequency of mechanics' dealings with it is
minimal compared to that of our hive manipulations.  Wiring creates two
problems.  One is that, in hive manipulations, we have enough to watch to be
careful of our bees without having to be careful of the electronics too.
The second is that the environment of the hive is going to necessitate some
high quality "blind-mate" connectors, which are apt to cost more than the
sensors and signal conditioning cicuitry combined.

In short, I see great potential in the "electronic hive", but personally
plan to approach it in modest steps.

Bill Morong