WG-CC Archives

Coalition WG on Coordination Committee

WG-CC@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
CorruptionWatchAruba <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coalition WG on Coordination Committee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:33:04 -0700
Dear Fernando,

The United Nations adheres to a set of fundamental Human Rights Treaties as the backbone for all issues related to human rights, rule of law and democracy.

In principle these are reflected in all international treaties including UNCAC.

Participatory democracy is based on a trias politica with a varying number of legal instruments and other recourses for checks and balances.

In matters where decisions have to be made votes must be carried by a majority, but the will of the people at large is expressed through polls, referenda and other consultative events where all the people cast ballots.

Being a bearer of a European Union passport, Dutch of nationality and Caribbean/Latin American in terms of residence I must stress the need to tread carefully.

Our task as the WG as I see it,is to come up with a constitution for the Coalition with some additional documents which must be put to the vote by all members of the Coalition.

Our work should reflect at all times the best intention to capture all the essence required to run the coalition in a way which best meets the set mission and objectives, while at the same time guaranteeing the highest level of internal integrity and transparency towards the outside world.

In short we must practice what we preach to the outside world.

We must not overstep the task we set ourselves, we volunteered to do this but were not elected to do so by the UNCAC Coalition at large.

So the best we can come up with is a set of documents, procedures etc. where based on consensus, which may include casting votes where deemed necessary, but in the end the final word will be up to all the current members of the UNCAC Coalition.

I admire your drive to stick to rules and procedures, but bear in mind that participatory democracy is much more than just that.

So in the current tasks we have set ourselves we  are allowed a bit more flexibility, the end products decided upon by the general body of all UNCAC Coalition members we can be more rigid.

The point I am trying to make that we cannot expect with 100% certainty to reach a majority outcome vote on every single issue we may want to vote on at this stage, some final votes may have to be settled by all the members.

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International)
Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: [log in to unmask]

CorruptionWatch Aruba is a local component of the Global Campaign Project Paradigm of Rainbow Warriors International, focusing on monitoring the rule of law, functioning and performance of the executive, legislative and judicial powers in Aruba and is member of the UNCAC coalition, promoting the UN Convention against Corruption