WG-CC Archives

Coalition WG on Coordination Committee

WG-CC@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Toby Mendel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coalition WG on Coordination Committee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 10:57:58 -0300
Hi all,

My comments in the attached document.

In addition to this, I have the following general comments and comments on
statements by others:

1)	I think we need to assess Tunde's proposal to allocate all of the seats
regionally. This has the advantage of strong regional balance but the
weakness of introducing significant rigidity into the elections. On
balance, I would prefer a system with some 'floating' seats (say about
three) and with a bit more regional allocation, basically along the lines
Tunde suggests.

2)	Re. Eric's point about why coordinate, for me this flows from our
objectives and I do not see the need for further elaboration here (but see
my next point).

3)	I agree with Eric's 2nd and 3rd points. I think it is particularly
important that we define carefully not only the process for making
statements in the Coalition's name, but also the scope of such statements,
which in my view needs to be carefully circumscribed, so as to avoid a
situation where we lose members because they do not agree with our
statements.

4)	I agree with everything Iftekhar says, except his reference in (his
new) point 2(b)(2) to the idea of in-person meetings. I suppose that most
of the time these meetings will be virtual, and not in-person.

Toby

Toby Mendel

Centre for Law and Democracy
Tel:  +1 902 431-3688