From:
Karen Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 13:33:02 +0000
Louise,

I worked with a baby last year with multiple problems, including cleft
palate.  The Cleft Palate Clinic could not see them for several weeks
for evaluation for an obturator, so a local pedi dentist fashioned a
smooth "plate" which covered the palate - something like a mouth guard
worn by athletes.  It took an afternoon to complete the fitting and was
made in his office (a moderately large pedi dentistry establishment).
It did the trick in terms of enabling her to form a seal on the breast
and on the bottle nipple they were using.  The cleft was not really the
major problem in this case and the mother ultimately discontinued the
attempts to breastfeed so I don't know how this would have worked out
long term. I lost touch with them after a few months, but it worked in a
pinch until they could get further evaluation.

I don't know if this is available in your area but a creative,
breastfeeding-friendly dentist or orthodontist could figure it out.
I could probably fax you a picture of this if you'd like. (I'm no
Rembrandt, but this was a really simple device.)

Karen Nelson, IBCLC
Central Pennsylvania