From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:34:44 EDT
I know some of you folks out there have gathered info on pay for
hospital-based LC's and I'd appreciate anything you can share with me.  I'm
specifically looking for what non-RN IBCLC's are paid and if it differs
depending on whether the LC is also an RN.

I was the first LC at my hospital 9 years ago, and although I lobbied for a
separate pay scale (more!), the only option I was given was to be plugged
into the RN pay scale because I was an RN.  I *knew* this was going to cause
trouble in the long run, and it has.  There are now 3 other RN's who have
obtained their IBLCE certification and are working as consultants for their
normal RN wage; they also work as nurses some days.  We also have one IBCLC
who is an LPN; on the days she works as an LC she is paid a small amount more
per hour, but nothing close to what the RN/LC's make.  Now we are trying to
hire a part-time IBCLC who is not a nurse at all, and the hospital wants to
pay her starting LPN wages.  It is not likely that she will be willing to
work for that wage.

I think we ought to all be in the same pay scale, whatever our background,
because we're all working as IBCLC's!  What do other hospitals do who have
LC's of differing backgrounds?  Please reply to me directly--I'm not getting
Lactnet regularly right now, and I know we can't discuss this publicly,
anyway.  Thanks so much.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin