From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 19:55:19 +0200
Hello all,
I was checking the archives of Lactnet regarding anal fissures.
Found wonderful comments from '95 and 98 from Dr. Vonlanthen. Most of the comments were regarding blood in the feces, but my question is regarding the fissures themselves. What causes them, when there is no presentation of blood in the stools? The baby in question is 3 weeks old. ,totally bf. (could be that in hospital she received some formula as most babies do here (ugh))with symptoms starting within the past few days.. MD rxd Fossidin (sp?) cream but things are getting worse and baby most uncomfortable and crying with every effort even at passing wind.

What I gleaned from the archives (search in the books were fruitless) is that blood in stools can be caused by cmp and soy allergy - which are taken out of moms diet. Do the fissures come as a result of painful, harder curd feces? and in a case like this when there is no blood in the stools, that what is it that actually causes the fissures? Is it the acidity of the feces themselves and not the consistency as a result of the allergy?

thanks for being here!
ellen shein, ibclc, LLLL, Tel aviv