From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 23:01:09 -0500
Magnesium is an interesting issue...but over the last 5+ years that I have
heard various associations between hypomagnesemia and things like PMS, leg
cramps, myocardial infarctions, seizures, etc... I have made it a habit to
check Mg levels on anything neurological,anything odd, anything emotional
and really have failed to find true blue hypomagnesemia except for the
really hard core chronically ill alcoholics!! When I practiced in Los
Angeles, magnesium shots were very popular in Beverly Hills, which actually
led me to move away from that fad. But, I am always willing to give
magnesium a shot (ha ha). And, perhaps a serum magnesium level does not
really reflect tissue levels of magnesium, so levels don't matter. I
believe, however that magnesium supplements are poorly absorbed thru the GI
tract if it is an inorganic compound.
        In terms of Reynauds, my personal experience is that I had it when
I was in my early 20's, and drinking lots of caffeine. It stopped when I
stopped the majority of the caffeine. I have mentioned this to some of my
patients, and a few have found that decreasing caffeine did help. One
person in particular was a male who I am sure has an underlying connective
tissue disease (refused workup) and he is so excited that he is better off
caffeine. Whether caffeine acts as a depleter of trace elements is an
issue, I don't know. Caffeine does also affect the tone of smooth muscle,
and perhaps that is the link. -Anne Eglash. MD