From:
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:17:05 -0400
PTP,

I asked this question at the facebook group before I was able to get in contact with the PA, so my questions are a little different in this post.

I saw a mom yesterday who has a 3w old. She has very sore cracked nipples and knew this was not normal since she has breastfed 2 children.

Baby shows signs of torticollis (head turning, asymmeteical jaw, a knot in neck/ shoulder area, asymmetrical tongue rise) and appears to have restrictive lingual and maxillary labial frenums. He has a very shallow latch; his lower lip tends to curl inward. He has a receding lower jaw. He has uncoordinated suck, swallow and breathing, with some breath holding and catch up breathing. He has normal length sucking bursts with usually quiet swallowing. Sometimes he coughs when flow is faster. Milk transfer amount and rate was WNL. He transferred 50ml in 16 minutes on one breast and 64ml in 10 minutes, when offered the other breast (30min later). He is gaining at the high end of normal, just under 2oz/day.

All of these issues will be addressed (CST and frenectomy and possibly PT) but I also noticed marked expiratory stridor while he was feeding. The baby sounds like he is humming with every out breath while breastfeeding, more-so when feeding at left breast in cradle hold. I have heard inspiratory stridor but I have never heard expiratory stridor. I wanted his physician to check this out because I know it can indicate tracheomalacia.

Baby had an appointment today and only saw the PA instead of his PCP. I was able to speak with the PA later in the day and she said that respiration and heart sounded normal. She didn't note as much expiratory stridor as I did but she did hear it. She spoke with the physician and they are comfortable with waiting and seeing if there are any other breathing issues and treating the torticollis. Before speaking to the physician, I was concerned about what I should suggest the mom do to address the breathing. Now I am wondering what reasons a baby would have expiratory stridor other than tracheomalacia and how this would progress if it were tracheomalacia?

Someone asked me if I saw retractions. I did not see any at the clavicle but I did not look for retractions at the sternum because Baby was dressed. I saw him unclothed later and he did not note any retractions but he was not feeding then.

Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC