From:
Nutrition <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 01:09:31 -0800
This was sent to me, and I thought to share it with Lactnetters.  It is
unfortunate that breastfeeding in public should be so upsetting and could
cause such problems.

--------------------------
Breast-Feeding Causes Fight in Wyo.

By The Associated Press

LARAMIE, Wyo. (AP) -- A ruckus over a woman breast-feeding her baby in a
restaurant led to a battery conviction against the restaurant owner's wife,
who had forced the mother into a bathroom.

Heather Walsh said she was discreetly breast-feeding her 4-month-old son,
Connor, when Theresa Frausto approached the table and said ``we have a
chair in the bathroom for that.''

``When I got to the bathroom they had a dinky chair in there and the
atmosphere was disgusting,'' Walsh said.
Walsh and a friend decided to leave, but before they did, the mother
approached Frausto and told her she was going to make it known that the
establishment was not a breast-feeding-friendly restaurant.

Frausto said the woman turned to leave and she pinched her coat to keep her
attention. Walsh claims she stumbled and tried not to drop her baby as
Frausto grabbed her arm and jerked her back.

A shouting match ensued.

``Maybe I am just from the olden days, but I get uncomfortable when I see a
woman breast feeding and she is not covered up,'' she said.

Frausto pleaded guilty Friday and was fined $170.

Lois Englberger,  MNS, Federated States of Micronesia