From:
Eric Micah Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 00:19:35 -0800
Hello All,
    Very tired tonight.  I grow weary of typing the LC Proposal everybody
helped me with.  Thank you so much.  (When I get caught up I will forward
email I received to others if authors don't mind)  I am ready to just study
for the test.  The books go with me everywhere.  It was rather cute to hear
my 5 year old in the doctors waiting room oooohhhhh and ahhhhh over the
pictures in my BF and Human Lactation book.

    I also teach childbirth classes.  We offer a breastfeeding class that
not many attend  so I am trying to incorporate BFing into each class.  I
have decided to give them the information that I fell for
"hook-line-and-sinker" during a continuing Ed I went to during nursing
school.
            .......Did you know that breastmilk is "age" specific?
            ....... Who here knows that the flavor of breastmilk changes
with what the mom eats?
            ........Did you know that Breastmilk is a "living" thing?  With
WBC's  etc.
     ...This one really seems to fascinate my class......a newborn can
drink out of a cup!!!

The one we used tonight was from Dr. Jack's stuff.  I didn't know this.  If
a infant nurses only long enough to get the "low-fat" milk  he could
potentially suffer from colic.

I find that most moms know the well publicized benifits of breasting.  I
like to get them curious.  If only I knew about this stuff with my
daughters.  (Told to stop breastfeeding immediately while hospitalized with
gallbladder.  Was on a orthopedics floor.  Picture a two week postpartum
breastfeeding mom not breastfeeding OR PUMPING!  Took pain med for breasts
not gallbladder.  Was given TACE.  Oh boy did that help! NOT!!!)

Thanks,
   Paula Hancock RN  in finally warm again Oklahoma.