From:
Paula Bermingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:13:32 -0700
RE: What is WIC.
        I work for a WIC Program. The acronym is Women, Infants and
Children. This is a branch of the United States Department of Agriculture.
It is a federally funded supplemental food program. They give vouchers for
free formula to low to moderate income families with infants, and vouchers
for free food for families with children up to five yrs of age. Also
pregnant women are enrolled on the program and receive vouchers for food
through their prenatal period, they continue with the regular food vouchers
for the women who choose to breastfeed.

        WIC employs IBCLCs and other breastfeeding advocates. The rate of
formula feedig is high, but many mothers in my area have decided to
breastfeed after hearing accurate information. I teach prenatal classes
about breastfeeding, and do home and hospital visits after the baby is born.
Also do support groups for them, since May 1991.

RE: Have seen five women during my employment for WIC attempt breastfeeding
after breast reduction. One mom said that when her surgeon was doing it he
claimed that he was reconnecting the ducts (microsurgery?) ...she did ok.
She used an SNS, because she did not feel comfortabler with P-syringes. (My
preference)

        The results have been mixed to very favorable, 2 of the five,with a
full milk supply and eliminated the tube/syringe feedings. One produced
milk, but complained that her breasts were very sensitive (altho, one would
probably expect lack of sensation), so she stopped. One really never
produced much at all, even with pumping and one was partial breastfeeding
with a supplementer til she tired of it. I like to let the mom know that
there is no telling how much the baby will receive. So, I recommend (to
them) using an hospital quality pump with the product of the pumping offered
at the breast. I just don't like to watch for signs of inadequate milk
intake ...but like to protect the gut wall at the same time.

Paula Bermingham, IBCLC
Lake County CA. USA

http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html

> [...]
>could have watched the entire segment.  What I did watch was so
>refreshing!----supportive of breastfeeding to the point of saying that he
>actually recommends breastfeeding as many as 20 times a day if THE INFANT
>NEEDS to Yippee!  He had a way of making it permissable and loving, as we
>KNOW it is.  The mother that I was helping with breastfeeding was most
>impressed.  Gosh, it would be so wonderful if all parents could have a
>copy.  I wonder if all the right people were watching----you know, the ones
>who think we're nuts if we nurse closer than every 3-4 hours.
>
>Have a nice day!
>Barb Whynaucht,R.N.
>Date:    Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:42:26 -0700
>From:    "Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: charcoal
>
>Maureen,
>Charcoal is not the issue with charred steaks, the carcinogens that form
>when meat is charred are heterocyclic amines.  Charcoal by itself is
>harmless.  It is often given as first aid for poisoning, to absorb the
>poison and buy time until the patient can have the stomach pumped.
>--
>Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC  NYC  [log in to unmask]
>Date:    Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:13:15 -0400
>From:    Melissa <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [Fwd: Leaving Lactation Field]
>
>sorry if this is a repeat having mail problems
>--
>Melissa Brancho
>The Nursing Corner         Fax: 814-624-0846
>RD 7 Box 382               Voice:  814-623-9357
>Bedford, PA  15522         E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:59:45 -0400
>From: Melissa <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Leaving Lactation Field
>
>After a hard two years and several severe bouts with lactation burnout, I
have decided
>to leave the field.  I simply cannot devote the amount of personal time
away from family
>and the financial burden of pursuing IBCLC at this time.  This has been an
incredibly
>hard decision that will come as a surprise to the people who know me
personally.  Who
>knows, maybe one day I will pick up where I left off but for now I must put
it aside and
>look for an area of interest where I can be paid for the work that I do.
>
>I will also be unsubbing from Lactnet sometime in the next two weeks.  I am
putting a
>list together of all of the items I may be interested in selling.  If you
are looking
>for something please feel free to contact me via email.
>
>This has been a tremendously hard decision me, if anyone should reply
please be kind.  I
>will keep up with LLL and continue to be involved as much as I can on a
strictly
>volunteer basis.  Thanks for all of the help for fellow Lactivist and
Lactnetters.