From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:30:36 -0700
I just saw a three month old baby who "flagged" with me during an LLL
meeting. Mom had come up afterwards to ask a couple of questions, and as we
talked I was struck by how his head seemed to sag forward, how he stared
downward and didn't attempt eye contact, and how sad he seemed to look.

I talked with mom a few minutes and then made a careful sideways remark to
baby directly, getting underneath to try to make eye contact and saying to
him, "you look so sad today."  Mom immediately alerted and said that she was
surprised to hear me say that, and that she had had concerns too, such that
she had even taken him in to the pediatrician for an exam (nothing flagged).
MD asked her to watch for signs of zoning out-- signs of seizure.

Mom reported to me that as a newborn he had very strong neck muscles, would
constantly try to lift his head, and that people often remarked on his
strength. And yet, lately his head sags a lot and he seems more distant. I
tried holding him vertical against me, facing outward, and he just seemed to
bend forward and not mold against me at all. I held him up in arms, and his
head just went forward a bit. It's a subtle, but it doesn't look or feel
right to me.

According to the mom he sometimes perks up, and he will smile when she
engages him, but otherwise he just has this noticeably sad expression. I
also thought his color was a bit white and maybe the suggestion of dark
circles under his eyes. Mom shared with me that he had been a colicky infant
but that had pretty much receded, while the posture stuff is relatively new.

Anyone have any ideas?  I suggested she take him to a chiropractor for a
thorough check-out, and also asked her to keep a diary of muscle tone
changes, etc.  This little guy is well fed and well loved from all that I
can see.

Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC
Santa Maria, CA