Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 07:59:43 EST
In a message dated 4/3/98 5:01:08 AM, Anne wrote:

<< why do we have to "warm up" babies in the nursery for maybe an hour before
we give them to their mothers????? Is this some kind of weird outdated
practice? We are talking about changing it but everyone accepts it as some
kind of norm. I know little about hospital nursery practices. Is this
common?>>

Not common for the health care system I work for - one hospital has 3,000 plus
births per year, another hospital has close to 10,000 births per year.
Generally and except for NICU care, babies stay with moms in birthing rooms
and go to Family Centered Care together to room-in for most of rest of stay.

Deborah Tobin RN BSN IBCLC ACCE
Springfield, Virginia USA