From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:03:41 EST
Jeanette writes of mom with nipple and breast pain.

If she is allergic to latex I would certainly stay away from it in all
forms. It doesn't sound like this is all that is going on, however. I'm not  sure
what you mean by an "upside down V shaped palate" but the configuration of  the
nipple when it comes out of the baby's mouth points to what the problem
might be about. O, i just got a picture in my mind of what this  palate might be
like--do you mean a high grooved type palate--this could  certianly cause pain
as the nipple gets caught in it.  I would try a nipple  shield which might
slow the milk flow--baby is getting a lot in a short period  of time and the
discomfort of this may be causing him to self limit. I would  encourage her to
feed on one breast til very soft before she switches. This may  take several
feedings. Also the nipple shield may serve to alleviate the nipple  pain which is
caused by the palate shape. This mom is well educated re bfdg and  so could be
a good candidate to rent a scale to track intake.  Hartman et  al's research
shows that babies grow on volume and that getting sufficient  volume of
foremilk will result in good gain. That has been my experience as  well. Too much
foremilk, however, can result in discomfort in baby and may  lead to self
limiting. Good luck with this mom and baby.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC

"I did see her as an IBCLC last Friday as her baby is not gaining,  stooling
every 6 - 8 days - and she was desperate.  I observed an  overactive milk
ejection reflex (baby took 2.5 ounces in less than 4  minutes).  Baby has a
palate that is an upside-down V and a VERY strong  gag reflex.  During the
feeding a lot of clicking is heard, and when the  nipple comes out of the
mouth it is flattened in a VERTICAL not a horizontal  direction, following
the V of the hard palate.

We are working on  "fixing the breastfeeding" with positioning, etc.
However, I was wondering if  any of you have had a mom with this type of
reaction to their bra?"