From:
Deborah Codding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:35:41 -0700
Hi Janet (and Karen),
        Several of my big breasted moms have had plugged ducts/mastitis
simply from the fact that the heavy breast hangs down pulling and pinching
the upper outer quadrants.  I tell these moms to wear a well fitting nursing
bra to help keep the breasts lifted a little until the engorgement resolves.
I also tell all of my moms that for the most part (above problem excepted)
bras are for her comfort only - the stretching of pregnancy has passed.  I
encourage all of them to nurse at least one or two times a day with out a
bra to allow all of the milk ducts to empty.
        I know that when I was nursing, I leaked like a sieve and couldn't
stand to go braless because then I wouldn't have a place to put nursing pads
(even tried taping the pads to my breasts at one point).  Is this something
us leaky moms just have to get through until the milk supply is established?
What advice do you guys give to these moms to cope with milk running in
rivers down their legs (I've told them about pressing into the nipple to
stop the MER).

Debbie, RN
Destiny is not a matter of chance but a matter of choice.