Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:57:49 -0600
since I have gotten just as much positive email as I have negative about the new list, I thought I would post again so everyone is clear.

The new list is NOT a replacement to LN, I don't want it to be, I don't ever think it will be, I personally won't allow it to be.  It will be a sounding board and a study group of sorts for us working our way up the ladder.

It is not just me whole feels a bit of the us vs. them "stuff" that has been flying around.  Someone here said that most of us with lesser certifications shouldn't even be answering phones.  I have not seen a retraction to that (if it's been posted and I missed it then I am clearly wrong).  Everyone talks about the shortage of IBCLCs in the volunteer sector but I haven't heard a solution to it. We all get over worked, there is not one of us that can be there 24/7 all the time, I do however try, as I am sure do many others.  When I meet a new client I always give them office/cell and all of the various ways I can be reached.  I have answered calls in the middle of the night from a scared mom, as I am sure we all have.  I also agree with the IBCLC (sorry, I can't remember who) that posted that they are glad there is someone there with basic info when there isn't an IBCLC available.

I DO believe that IBCLCs deserve respect because of their length of service to the public in a lactation capacity.  The have earned those letters after their name.  I have never once before this whole discussion began wondered about the relationship between the CLC, CLE, LLLL, and the IBCLC.  I am not the only one who has been hurt by some of the references made over the last few days.  I am sure we can agree that there are misinformed people in all professions no matter how long they have practiced.

I do not feel, as someone said to me in a private email, that I am refusing to read or hear what is being said.  I do however feel like some of the people here refuse to see that feelings have been hurt even though you never singled anyone out.  Saying that CLCs, etc. don't have enough knowledge for basic practice is just about as bad as the nurse and doctor bashing sessions we have here on occasion, they are neither fair or professional.

That being said, I think we should be able to put this behind us, and let the non-IBCLC educators know that there is a place for them if they want others at their level to study with in addition to what we learn here.  LN is as I have said many, many, many times, a wonderful resource that I thank God for everyday.  It seems like I read something here and then the next week I am faced with something similar, I would never want this resource to go away.  I feel like I am adding to it by allowing non-IBCLCs to have their own place to grow and learn from one another too.  Truly... hear my heart, I am not trying to step on toes, actually completely the opposite.  Peace.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and