From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:27:57 EST
Would appreciate input on the following, ok with mom that I post:

10 day old I just saw this am, forceps delivery, trauma to posterior,
bilateral occiput and bilateral mandibles (at junctions of upper/lower jaw)
includes bruising, swelling (feels hard in these areas as if bone bruising).
Baby boy able to BF effectively (I'm amazed he can!), jaw excursions WNL,
milk transfer ok, but roots on both breasts away from breast despite careful
hand position to support his neck/head (hand not on back of head nor fingers
touching cheeks).  Could this be due to baby's trauma?  Other causes?

 I've recommended craniosacral therapy but think mom will only see
chiropractor (her decision) but this is better than nothing.  Ped feels
infant should not be in any discomfort but I wonder how he couldn't be.
Would this infant still be in pain/discomfort from the trauma?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Warmly,
Barbara Latterner, BSN,RN,IBCLC