From:
Emily Healy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:49:46 -0800
Hi Nikki Lee,

A few years ago the MD I work for sent bleb tissue to the lab to be analyzed. (MaryAnn O'Hara at Seattle Breastfeeding Medicine). The lab found blebs are areas of inflammatory histiocytes.  She presented her findings at ABM 2012.  Blebs usually respond to a mid-potency steroid under occlusion.  She usually prescribes 0.1% betamethazone valerate ointment (not cream) with instructions to use a small amount, so there is just a shine over the bleb, and cover with plastic wrap to increase penetration into the skin.  Often once per day, during the longest period without breastfeeding/pumping is enough to decrease inflammation and resolve the bleb.

Of course, care also needs to include treating the source of the trauma that is causing the blebs in the first place. (Usually something baby is doing, tongue tie, etc)

Best wishes,

Emily Healy, IBCLC