From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 14:09:07 -0400
"Have those of you who live in the U.S. seen the commercials advertising for
breast augmentation?  Terrible.  Why not advertise breastfeeding and WBW?!"

Yeah, I just saw this last week - ads for the actual implants, just like the
ads for specific rx. drugs. Made me really good & mad! Now, honestly &
truly, I'm not "against" breast augmentation, but those ads should carry the
same kind of listing of contraindications or "not for you if..." statements
as prescription drug ads. I wasn't actually looking at the TV, so I don't
know if they run tiny print across the bottom, but they sure didn't say
"breast implants may interfere with your ability to effectively nourish your
baby". Or "Lactation Consultants recommend postponing breast augmentation
until after you're done nursing your children". Or anything like that!

Also just read that 68% of breast *reductions* are done on women under age
18 or 21 or some very young age (can't remember exactly - it was in
Newsweek).

Are there laws? Who would know? Anybody else seen these ads? We should do
something...

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY