From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 04:15:47 -0700
There is an old saying about "Don't put the cart before the horse".

In terms of reimbursement for IBCLC services...

In the 2 hospitals where I work, I'll bet you 65% of the docs don't know
that an IBCLC exists and at least another 15% don't realize that it differs
in any significant way from the other jumbles of alphabets that signify
lactation training of some sort.

When the medical establishment knows what an IBCLC is (and that they exist)
it's going to be easier to get proper reimbursement for our services.

And when breastfeeding is seen as an "essential" instead of "something women
do when they don't formula feed" then what we do will have more reimbursable
value to insurance companies.

And a part of reimbursement is tied to what the public demands from the
insurance companies as well.

So while the cart does desperately need to get to it's destination, I don't
see it arriving before the horse.

Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC