From:
Jay and Robin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:26:52 -0400
Hello wise women,

I've searched the archives but haven't found anything to help me answer this
mother's question (I have permission to post).

I'm working with a mother who delivered her third child by planned c-section
3 weeks ago. The mother is 41 years old and has been in premature menopause
since age 29. Her first child, now age 7, was conceived after 6 rounds of
IVF. Her second, 2 years later, was conceived naturally (surprising the heck
out of mom and dad) as they were beginning IF treatments - they didn't
discover the pregnancy until after they'd put fertilized embryos back in!
Her third child was conceived using donor eggs during the first IVF cycle
they tried.

This is a VERY committed breastfeeding mother. She breastfed both of her
older children for about a year and wanted to continue longer, but she said
at that point her menopausal symptoms returned and she felt they were making
her too unwell to continue without treatment. She was told that she had to
wean to begin treating the symptoms. (She first tried HRT but found it
didn't help her, then moved on to homeopathic remedies, which she was told
were also incompatible with breastfeeding.)

She's now happily breastfeeding her third and probably last child and would
very much like to be able to go for child-led weaning, but she's afraid that
her symptoms will return again at about 1 year pp.

Do any of you have any evidence-based suggestions for ways to manage the
menopausal symptoms without sacrificing the breastfeeding relationship?
She's concerned that any proposed solutions be "scientifically proven" as
she's afraid of any unforeseen effects on her son.

Thank you in advance,

Robin Epstein
LLLL and working hard to accummulate enough clinical hours to sit the exam
next year!
Just outside of Tel Aviv, Israel where it's thankfully quiet, but thinking
of all my friends and colleagues living where it isn't