From:
Devon Kinne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2016 08:35:59 -0400
I have experience personally with a condition similar to FPIES (my 9 year old son has eosinophilic esophagitis and has been on Neocate, both as his only source of nutrition and as a supplement since he was 5).

As much as wanting to provide breastmilk to this sweet baby seems like such a generous and positive thing to do, I would not suggest the extremely hard effort of trying to 1)induce lactation while pregnant, and (2) eat a top-8 diet.  Eating a very restricted diet is very hard on your body and you have to be followed closely by a nutritionist/RD in order to maintain the appropriate nutrition.  If this sweet baby did not tolerate Neocate (an elemental/amino acid based formula), it is very unlikely that she will tolerate breastmilk, even on a top-8 free diet or much restricted diet.  Additionally, even if a more restricted elimination diet was followed, those diets are supposed to be temporary, not long-term, and must also be followed closely by a very knowledgeable RD/nutritionist (which can be hard to find).  Pregnancy would absolutely not be the time to do that.

It is heartbreaking to have a kiddo with a disease like this.  I get it.  I've been on a restricted diet for my kiddos and know it is not fun but you will do anything to try to help.  There are some really helpful Facebook groups out there for EoE (my sons condition) with extremely knowledgable parents who have BTDT with regards to diet/formula - I would suggest that she check out some of those for suggestions (I'm sure they exist for FPIES too).  Kids With Food Allergies is a very helpful community as well.

Devon Kinne
Breastfeeding USA counselor (former LLL leader, DONA doula)