From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:35:29 -0400
Re: Course title - The Advanced Issues in Lactation Practice

What is "lactation practice"? I wonder about this since I'm no longer
lactating and don't intend to, so I no longer can "practice" lactation. I am
a lactation consultant (and hope it stays that way once exam results come
back) and I practice as such, but I do NOT have only a lactation practice. I
like to think my practice includes the more expansive, interactive concept
of breastfeeding, which is far, far more than the physical function of
lactation. (In all fairness, later descriptions were better!)

Am I the only one who is bugged when our profession and the work we do goes
by the term "lactation" without the "consultant"? (Truth to tell, I've never
been thrilled by that title either, but it beats refs to "lactation" only!)
I keep hearing and reading more and more references of "lactation" to refer
to those in the profession of a lactation consultant, and it's getting to
me! Per the Free Dictionary online, "lactation" means:
1.* *Secretion or formation of milk by the mammary glands.
2.* *The period during which the mammary glands secrete milk.
Certainly I've helped plenty of moms who lactate and provide milk for their
babies (and sometimes others' babies) without the breastfeeding component
but, all in all, I like it better when a baby (or two or three or more)
drives lactation/milk secretion.

OK, feeling better now that I have that off my chest.

Beyond that, I received an email with this info and additional description.
I found it "interesting" that the other descriptive wording seemed to
indicate that holding their CLC certification was comparable or the
equal/same as holding the IBCLC certification...

--
Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/