From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:57:25 +1000
Hi all
Kathleen and the other listmothers have invited me to join them.  I have been reading and contributing to lactnet since about 2004 when, while lurking, I accidentally sent a message intended for my friend Karleen (who happens to be a listmother!) to the list - oops! Fortunately, the lovely Rachel Myr was there to smile knowingly and provide absolution.  Now I hope to be able to contribute some of the same generous spirit to lactnet, myself.
What can I tell you about me?  I am another Aussie so I will be awake when most of you are snoozing.  Here are a few things you'll need to know so we can communicate effectively:  I never used diapers but did use nappies.  I never used a pacifier but have photos of at least one child sucking on a dummy.  When it's cold, I would like to drink Milo (but it's a nestle product!) and wouldn't dream of drinking cocoa.  I did not go to College or Grad School but I did go to uni.  As a graduate student, I did not write a dissertation but I did write a thesis.  When I need water, I turn on a tap because there are no faucets here.  My kids don't play out doors, they play outside.  I spell lots of words with s rather than z (a letter I call zed) and my neighbours, colours, honours and flavours come with always come with u.
I am the mother of three children, the daughter of a breastfeeding counsellor and the wife of a lawyer.  I am the sister of brothers, the aunt of two nephews and a niece.  I am a qualified breastfeeding counsellor since 2001 and an assessor and trainer.  I am not a nurse or midwife but I am a doctor - I have a PhD in Public Health.  My thesis is titled, The influence of toddler formula advertising on attitudes, perceptions and beliefs about infant feeding.  I guess that makes me an academic, right?
Well, I am looking forward to beginning a new chapter in my association with lactnet and the listmothers - and to learning to navigate the listserve interface.  If there's anything else you'd like to know about me, don't be shy ... I am usually up for a natter!
cheers
Nina Berry
Australia