From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 23:52:36 -0500
Coach Smith: you are 100% correct about udders and bag balm. Except, udders
get many substances worse than Bag Balm smeared on them (I won't be
indelicate here, but remember cows lie down where it ain't always
only clover). Udders are washed, scrubbed, sanitized before milking. If you
think the IRS has lots of verbiage you should see what dairy industry
standards are like! And (any current dairy farmers on Lactnet?) I doubt BB
is "legal" for dairy use on teats. It could easily impart an off flavor to
the milk (besides contaminents).

Bag Balm is great for chapped *hands* and wind burned *cheeks* from cold
weather.

BTW: I was in a local drugstore yesterday and was surprised (appalled,
actually) to find bulb pumps, rubber nipple shields and four kinds of nipple
creams (not to mention a product for stretch marks). Was I in a time warp or
what? (Brick wall, here comes my head again...)

Margery Wilson, IBCLC
former dairy goat farmer