Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:57:01 EST
I posted  this on another nursing list, but didn't get any response.
The only change is that the mom is now  willing to stop drinking if her milk
supply could come back as a result.  Any ideas?  Please email me directly
([log in to unmask]), as I am set to nomail and can't find the directions to
resume mail. Thanks!

<<<<Hello, everyone.  I have a question to ask you.
This mom has a 3 1/2 year old dd that is still nursing several times a day.
She nursed ds (now 8) for a little over 4 years.  Well, in the past month or
so, the toddler has indicated that there is no milk there.  The mom cannot
express even a drop, no matter how hard she tries.  It used to be easy to get
a few drops.  She wants to keep nursing until at least spring, so that she
has a comfort measure in case of winter illness, and because she enjoys the
closeness, also.  Her daughter is very happy nursing, and has not shown any
signs of stopping anytime soon.
    Now, some background.  I know that many of you may react strongly here,
so please just send helpful information, not flames.  This mom smokes 1/2  to
3/4 of a pack a day of cigarettes.  She has done this since her dd was one.
(She and dh smoke outside)  She also drinks between 3-5 beers or glasses of
wine each night.  She does this after her toddler has gone to bed, after the
final nursing.  Dd sleeps all night, and will go back to sleep without
nursing if she does wake up.  This mom is not drunk, as she has built up a
tolerance to the alcohol.  She does not drink if her dh is away, or anyone in
the family is not feeling well.  She has some anxiety problems, and this
seems to help.  She was taking Paxil, but is weaning from that now.
    Okay, I know the easiest thing to do is say, wean your daughter, or stop
drinking / smoking. I guess you can tell that I know this mom personally by
the amount of info I gave.  I do, and really want to help her.  However, she
is not going to stop smoking/drinking until she gets pregnant again.  She has
stopped using birth control (not the pill, barrier method), and hopes to get
pregnant soon. Hopefully after that, she will not start again.
    Now, my big question is, first, IS her milk dried up?  Could it be that
she just can't get it out?  She could get a drop or two when she squeezed a
few months ago , but not now.  Not even one drop.
    Second, do you think the drinking/cigarettes are to blame?  She was doing
this for a while before there was a problem.  Her basic diet is good, but her
beverages go from coffee to Diet Coke to beer on a regular day.  Maybe a
glass of water in there somewhere.  I am thinking that she may be chronically
dehydrated from the caffeine and alcohol.  Her skin is dry, and of course,
she has a headache some mornings.  Could dehydration cause a milk supply to
slowly dry up?  It makes sense to me, but I don't know if it is what's goin
on here.
    The toddler nurses very differently now, and doesn't latch on properly.
Could this be part of the problem?
    Is there any hope for this mom's milk supply?  Can she increase her water
consumption and drink mother's milk tea while nursing 5-6 times a day? Is
this tea safe if she were to get pregnant?  My thought is to tell her to cut
back on the caffeine, drink lots more water, and nurse more frequently.  Try
to cut back on the smoking/drinking if she can.  Try the tea if it is ok in
case of pregnancy.  (She will stop smoking/drinking immediately is she
suspects pregnancy.  She usually know by 2 weeks gestation)
    Anything else anyone has to add?  Is her milk supply likely to come back?
 Is it possible?  I would like to help her , as nursing her baby is extremely
important to her.  She has had a rough year, since she moved, and had a death
in her  immediate family.  Stopping nursing would be another loss for her.
    I don't know if it is likely, but has anyone experienced anything like
this themselves?  Please send info and help. >>>