From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 09:37:20 -0400
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> While such products may indeed have beneficial qualities they will be
> unacceptable for anyone who follows a kosher diet.  Krill are shellfish,
> very low on the food chain.

We keep kosher.   I take NKO for medical reasons.   It treats, very
successfully, an issue that nothing else has been able to treat.    Breaking
kashrut (or shabbat etc) is important and even required when a life is at
stake.

> There is also a legitimate concern that over-harvesting of krill for
> industrial use will pull the rug out from under a lot of other forms of
> marine life, notably seals and whales.

Agreed.  Though at this point, it appears that krill is much more
sustainable than fish in terms of using the oils for human consumption.

> In my cursory reading of two Wikipedia articles (krill and krill oil) I did
> not find anything to suggest that krill oil contains Vitamin D.

It always seems that I am missing significant numbers of lactnet posts.  Did
anyone suggest that it did?

Katherine