From:
Cindy Neary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:05:14 EDT
Dear Julie,

     Two comments. I have not heard anything about bethamethasone inhibiting
milk supply, but there was an anecdotal report in JHL about a mom whose milk
didn't come in for ten days and then came in like gang busters after prolonged
treatment with Mag Sulfate which you had mentioned this mom was on.
     Second, I disagree with Helen about M:ichael Woolrich's research.  He
says that at least in SOME women, inadequate stimulation of the breasts during
early breastfeeding may limit their maximum supply even if the situation is
redressed later with improved suck/latch and extra pumping. But he does not
say this is true in all women.  He specifically remarks that the first six
weeks seem to be the critical period.  I don't think you mom and baby were
past that yet, so I would still be somewhat hopeful that things could turn
around.

Cindy Neary RN