From:
Laura Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 01:28:12 -0500
Could the reduction in SIDS occurances
since the "back to sleep" campaign have more to do with the inability of
a parent to smother a baby while viewing their face?
Interesting idea, however, the idea for "back to sleep" came from
looking at cultures where babies traditionally slept on their backs and
had a low rate of SIDS (Japan, I believe). However, there are 2
confounding factors, most babies in Japan (at that time) were BF and
slept with mom. These may be two of the reasons that we have only seen a
33% reduction in SIDS with the "back to sleep" campaign. We also know
many babies are still being put to sleep prone. Sincerely, Pat in SNJ

Thanks Pat, I did not know this history. But, now I wonder how the
Japan/US infanticide rates differ.

Laura