From:
Eric Micah Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:28:05 -0700
Hello All,
    Just caught up on messages.  Reading about H2O for BF babies.  A few
days ago an older physician "Instructed" a mom (while in my presence)  that
by day 7 or 10 her son should be able to go 4 hours between feedings and if
he didn't to give him H2O in order for the breasts to fill up!!!
    The reason I say "Inch by Inch".......  The physician turned and looked
at me over his glasses and said "I am giving her MY breastfeeding
instructions" and then proceeded to tell her that the nurse's instructions
might be
different.  Many would take this as an insult.  However,  I have worked
with this man for years and can remember when my own rear end grew  quite
sore from the chewing on......How dare I educate his patients in ways other
than his.
    He knows who is right.  He just can't give "it" up.  I am not sure what
"it" is.  I hope "it" is not power.  No one will win if that is what he
thinks.
    Needless to say the patient told me she didn't prepare her nipples or
use the M**** cream like he told her to.  As soon as he left she said "Tell
me the TRUTH!!!"
    So sad because this is the same doctor and same hospital to which I
attribute my failure at breastfeeding my second child to.  BTW ...I
breastfed my son for 14 months and was not sad, depressed nor was it
difficult.  Actually, I did the co-sleeping thing on accident and just
continued because of how easy it was and I DIDN'T ROLL OVER ON HIM!!  I
LOL each time my mom asked how many times he nursed during night because I
couldn't remember!!!  I felt like I always got a full night of sleep!!!

 Still Brannon's "binkie" when he feels like it,
                                            (even though it gags
co-workers)

 Paula Hancock RN