Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 20:44:03 -0400
Many years ago when I worked at the LDRP (which closed 10 years ago ) and we had the lowest CS rate in Dade County Florida we used this but they had Astromorph or just Fentanyl in the post delivery medication bag. Some babies had issues and others did rather well. As we all know the epidural babies do seem to have issues with latching. This was also the day and age of 2 day inductions...so epidurals didn't go in until Mom was at least 6 cm.? Now I work at the CS capital and we give labor epidurals that can have vaginal delivery patients with heavy legs for hours afterwards. If a patient hasn't had an epidural then the spinal is anesthesia of choice.? We have sleepy, non latching babies and Moms with itching and nausea and vomiting for hours afterwards.?
Our taskforce committee has had our Speech Pathologist do a literature research on how epidural effect our babies and it shows that Yes!!! epidurals do affect breastfeeding.
We also know that our large 36+ week population of babies have issues. We see more 4 lbs + on the general Maternity ward with Moms who want to exclusively breastfeed these sleepy little babies who won't latch.?
Yes, we do skin to skin but our Moms want cooler rooms and so we are constantly fighting the battle of keeping the baby warm and having the baby wakened no longer than 4 hrs for feeding. (the little guys are still waiting on a womb and umbilical cord)
I am glad the day of the ongoing epidural post delivery is gone because it's hard enough to get our population to ambulate and taking care of their?babies. In the days of yore, we had maybe only 2 or 3 patients with that on a busy day, but we do sometimes more than 7 - 12 ceseareans in a given weekday.?
Leanne Jewell RN-BC, IBCLC, LCCE, FACCE
SFL